Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Let's Talk Art with Gill Cameron

Today I am interviewing Gill Cameron, she was a fellow student in the  Make Art That Sells Bootcamp. 

Tell us about yourself. What makes you tick?.  
Originally from Scotland, I now live in beautiful Bondi, Australia, having moved here almost 20 years ago. I love all things mid century, furniture, artwork, color palettes. I work as an in-house textile designer and in my spare time I sell a range of fine art prints inspired by my home town and all the sun, sand, waves and people that go along with it. My prints are sold under the banner of 'Line for a walk'



How did you get started as an illustrator? 
My love of drawing started young and has developed into a design career. After completing degree in textile design I have been designing and illustrating for the last 20 years, working as a studio designer for fashion brands and now as an in-house designer for a fabulous housewares company.

How did you find your style? Has it changed since you started? 
After so many years of working in studios I was pretty good at working in 'any style' but I was feeling flat about the whole design process. I felt like I had to explore what my style actually was so I enrolled in the first MATS bootcamp class. I work well to a deadline so I loved that this class made me complete a piece of work and often from a subject matter that I would never have chosen.  Since completing both bootcamp classes my style developed to a point where I felt confident to start selling my work though local galleries.



Can you briefly explain your creative process, mediums, etc? 
When I trained as a textile designer we did everything by hand, painting the flowers and working out repeats with rulers and tracing paper. I think this has been a huge advantage as I still start all my work with a sketch or with painted motifs. My main mediums are watercolor inks and drawing pens.  I have a library of beautiful washes that I often refer back to. After my initial drawings I use illustrator and photoshop to work up the final design or print.

How do you come up with new ideas? Do you have a process? 
I draw every day. This is something I used to do but had stopped.  During Bootcamp I started a sketchbook again and this is where the most unlikely ideas come from, including my winter swimming ladies.

Do you ever have creative slumps? What do you do then? 
Of course, life if busy and sometimes I just don't want to get back on the computer.  When that happens I paint something.



Best / most fun part of your job: 
Drawing and painting at the kitchen bench, especially when the kids join in. My daughter told me last week she is 'so over' watercolor and prefers acrylics as she can use more brushstrokes and not muck it up. It made me laugh.

Worst / most difficult part of your job: 
Time management. With a job and a family, trying to get more work into my range and into more galleries is the hardest part. 

Do you have side projects you work on?  
My prints are my side project. 



What’s on your horizon? Any current/future projects and plans/dreams you can share with us? 
To transition my website to include an online shop, to cement the relationships I have with my existing galleries and to add some more stockists. And to use social media better and smarter. 500 followers on instagram would be a good start.

5 things inspiring you/your work right now: 
sunshine, mid century posters, wood/lino cuts, dogs, geometric patterns.



3 constants in your day: 
coffee, sketches, eggs for breakfast.

Your #1 art tip or words of wisdom: 
Just start, don't wait for the perfect time in your life. Create and tell people what you are doing. Work on what you like, not what you think you should like.


No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back