Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Let's Talk Art with Emily Cromwell



 Tell us about yourself. What makes you tick? 
My name is Emily Cromwell! I’m a 21 year old illustrator and I am a second semester senior who will be graduating this May. I’ve been illustrating and drawing ever since I was a young girl and I’ve continued to create art into my twenties. I currently live in a tiny town in Massachusetts with my cat Misty, and I spend most of my time upstairs in my loft studio creating fun and happy illustrations.
How did you get started as an illustrator?
I’ve been drawing for a long time so I guess you could say I’ve always been illustrating since a young age. I went to college to major in Illustration and that’s what really kick started my career and my love for illustrating and it helped me see where I want to go with my career as an illustrator.
How did you find your style? Has it changed since you started?
I’ve had several different styles throughout my life as an illustrator. I first started out only doing realism and I had done that up into my freshman year of college but as I started experimenting I realized that although I was good at realism, I was much more happy illustrating whimsical designs that made people happy just by looking at them.
Can you briefly explain your creative process, mediums, etc?
I start out by sketching my ideas in my sketchbook (I’m pretty sure I have over 20 or so sketchbooks!) and then I transfer my ideas over to the computer where I paint digitally in Photoshop using my Wacom tablet. Sometimes, I even skip the sketchbook and just sketch digitally, but I usually always start out in my sketchbook by brainstorming ideas.
How do you come up with new ideas? Do you have a process?
I always keep a little notepad with me in my purse wherever I go so that when an idea hits me, I write it down so I don’t forget. Once I have an idea I sketch out possible illustrations as thumbnails and then I see which one I like best and go from there.
Do you ever have creative slumps? What do you do then?Oh definitely! I think almost every artist does. Whenever I end up in a creative slump, I walk away from what I’m doing and I take a break and do something fun to distract me. It helps clear my head and then I’m able to go back to my sketchbook or tablet and continue working.
Best / most fun part of your job:
Illustrating in my own style! It’s so much fun to have someone come to you and ask you to work for them because they love your style and don’t want you to change it in any way.
Worst / most difficult part of your job:Sometimes it’s hard to exactly meet art direction when there are a lot of requirements, and although it takes more time to accomplish those projects, they are still fun to do, and definitely worth it!
Do you have side projects you work on?
Yes I definitely do, several at a time actually, that’s what keeps me busy!
What’s on your horizon? Any current/future projects and plans/dreams you can share with us?There are quite a few exciting things that I have been working towards recently! I’m currently in the process of working on designing and releasing my own coloring book. Also, I’m an aspiring children’s book illustrator and I have been building my portfolio and working really hard so I can submit my work to publishers.

 5 things inspiring you/your work right now:1) pretty florals
2) the people in my life such as my boyfriend, my mom, and my dad
3) my hard working illustration professor who is also a children’s book illustrator
4) inspiring quotes and encouraging words
5) my self-motivation and drive to want to succeed
Your #1 art tip or words of wisdom:
Never, ever let anyone tell you that your dreams are too big. You can do absolutely anything that you set your mind to!
Here is Emily's Studio space. This is my favorite part of these posts. 
You can find Emily online 

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back