This is the first layer that we added to the beds. It is a 2 inch layer of composted manure. We just used the dirt from our horse paddocks and now I have a good base of soil to start out.
The second layer that was added was a layer of old newspaper. This is to keep the soil from becoming packed and also to help promote the earthworms to stay in the area or either come up from deeper in the ground under the beds. This layer had to be wet down good so that it would not blow away and also to help it begin to breakdown.
The third layer is a layer of brown leaves and about a good 3 –4 inches of leaves.
I forgot to take a picture of the final layer of 3-4 inches of composted manure and let it set a couple of days before planting starts.
Next Week I will post on planting